A traditional Mexican meatball soup. One of our many comfort food dish. Perfect for winter days. Filled with many vegetables and our own unique meatballs.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes Servings: 7-8
You will need:
Total Items needed:
- 3 lbs Ground beef
- 2 Zucchini (Chopped)
- 2 Mexican Squash (Chopped)
- 4 Carrots (Chopped)
- 4 Celery (Chopped)
- 1 Bunch Green beans (Cut in half)
- 1/2 Bell pepper (Chopped)
- 3 Corns (Cut in small pieces)
- 2 Chayotes (Mirliton Squash) (Chopped)
- 6 Potatoes (Chopped) (1 finely chopped for the meatballs)
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced (1 minced for the meatballs)
- 3 Eggs (for the meatballs)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (for the meatballs)
- 2 Tbsp Dry Oregano (1 Tbsp for the meatballs)
- 1 Tbsp Mint leaves (for the meatballs)
- 1/2 Tbsp Ground Cumin (for the meatballs)
- 1 Tbsp salt (for the meatballs)
- 4 Tomatoes (Chopped) (1 finely chopped for the meatballs)
- 1 Onion (1/2 for the meatballs)
- 4 Tbsp Knorr
- Cooked Rice (optional)
In a large pot heat about 2 tbsp of oil and add the chopped tomatoes, onion, zucchini, mexican squash, carrots, celery, green beans, bell pepper, corn, chayote, potatoes, garlic, 1 tbsp oregano fry everything for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add water to cover the vegetables completely. Bring to a boil. While waiting for the broth to boil, let’s get the meatballs ready.
Preparing the meatballs:
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro (finely Chopped)
- 1 Potato (finely Chopped)
- 1 Tomato (finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Onion (finely Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp Mint leave (finely Chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 2 garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Salt
Add the meat to a large bowl and add the potato, tomato, eggs, rice, cilantro, onion, garlic, mint leaves, ground cumin, oregano and salt. Mix well and make the meatballs to your size preference and set aside. About 22 medium size meatballs.
When the broth comes to a boil add the knorr 1 tbsp at a time doing a taste test each time you add. Once the taste is to your preference its time to add the meatballs.
Let it come to a new boil and cook for about 20 minutes. If you are unsure if the meatballs cooked, you can always remove one and cut it in half to check that the inside is not pink anymore. If more time is needed, cook for about 10 more minutes. If done, Enjoy!
I like to serve this with rice. But the rice is completely up to you.